Animal Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To contact an Animal Control Officer, please call (217) 222-9360

Animal Control Officers for the City of Quincy patrol the city protecting the public from the dangers of loose or stray wild and domesticated animals as well as protecting family pets when needed.

Animal Control Officer Job Task Description

Animal Control Tips

Seasonal Care for Pets

      Pets in the Winter

  • Pets get lost easier when there is snow on the ground.

  • Rock salt burns the paws of animals.

  • They will need fresh water more often. In cold temperatures the water freezes making it difficult for pets to drink.

  • If at all possible, you should feed your pets indoors.

  • Pets need shelter from the cold weather. If they are outside make sure they have straw or blankets as well as a structure of some type to shield them from the elements.

      Pets in the Summer

  • Don’t leave your pet in a car, even with the windows cracked, this can be dangerous and life threatening to the animal, especially in extreme temperatures and bright sunny days.

  • When the temperatures rise, animals need fresh water more often to prevent dehydration.

  • Animals need shelter from the hot sun.


What to do if you lose your pet

Before your pet is lost:

Check on your pet regularly. If it's in a pen or chained outside, make sure it's secure.

Make sure your pet has:

  • Identification by:
    -  purchasing a good collar
    -  attaching a rabies tag
    -  attaching an identification tag with your current phone number and address
    -  a microchip

If we pick up your pet and we can identify to whom it belongs, we will make every effort to return them to you.

After your pet is lost:

  • Call the Animal Shelter at (217) 222-2133 and give them a description of your pet including: breed, color, sex and collar description. If they do not answer when you call, leave a message on their machine.

  • Also call the 911 non-emergency number at (217) 222-9360. The 911 Center will advise the City of Quincy Animal Control Officers that your pet is missing and they will do all that they can to help you find them.