Many residents think census data is only used to determine the number of legislative seats Illinois has in Washington or Springfield. This is only a part of what is determined by census results.
Census participation and results also determine the amount of federal money Illinois receives each year to support:
- Infrastructure needs, such as road construction and repair;
- Schools and school districts in your community;
- Hospitals and emergency healthcare centers for the insured and uninsured;
- Social services programs that provide assistance for senior citizens, veterans and low-income families; and
- Large companies' and local business enterprises' decisions to potentially build or expand their corporate offices or factories, bringing employment opportunities to communities.