Every 10 years, a census is taken of all persons living in the United States. It is important that every Illinois resident be counted sour state population accurately reflects our needs. While many Illinoisans will answer the census questionnaire when it arrives, some demographics are consistently undercounted due to low participation. The following groups are historically undercounted in the census:
- Veterans, military and personnel living on Illinois military bases;
- Minority communities;
- Retirees spending their spring and summer in Illinois and wintering in a warmer climate;
- Illinois university/college students with a permanent residence outside Illinois;
- Persons living in large housing units or apartment complexes;
- Foreign born residents (documented and undocumented) living and/or working in Illinois;
- Farmers and their families residing in rural Illinois counties;
- Children under age 5; and
- Homeless population.
Every resident of Illinois is depending on you to make sure Illinois counts by participating in this important opportunity.
Illinois Secretary of State
Chair, Illinois Complete Count Commission