The City of Quincy has a mosquito abatement program that begins in the spring each year and runs through fall. Spraying is conducted in the evening hour when mosquitoes are the most present between the hours of 8:00 pm to 2:00 am, Monday through Friday.
There are several ways property owners can help prevent mosquitoes from becoming a nuisance.
YARD & HOME CHECKLIST
- Get rid of old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles and any water holding containers.
- Fill in or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in yard.
- Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash so water will drain properly.
- Cover leaky pipes and outside faucets.
- Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets.
- Empty plastic wading pool at least once a week and store it indoors when not in use.
- Make sure your backyard pool is properly cared for while on vacation.
- Fill in tree rot holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays at least once each week.
- Keep grass cut short and shrubbery well trimmed around the house so adult mosquitoes will not hide there.